Image Courtesy - www.freepik.com
Navratri is that time of the year where people adorn their homes with pretty-looking dolls, diyas, and other colorful-looking confetti. These are 9 days of the year dedicated to the three power goddesses- Durga, Lakshmi, and Saraswathi. In Gujarat, Navratri is celebrated with pomp, show, and grandeur as a matter of fact. Girls, boys, men, and women dance with their dandiya sticks to feet-tapping music. We call this the ‘Garba dance’. Palace grounds and other playgrounds are lighted during the evenings to bring about festive vibes in a lively manner.
Spiritually, there are elders and home-makers who fast 9 days of the year to invoke the blessings of Durga maa. Hence, at VVegano, we bring about authentic Satvik recipes with which you can perform your Navratri- Vrat in a hassle-free manner. Helping you get started with the same:
This is one of the fondest recipes when it comes to Navratri fasting. You can have Sabhudana Kichdi which is highly nutritious and tasty too. Let us get started with the recipe:
- Sabhudana, also known as Sago- 1 cup
Note: You call it Sago or tapioca pearls. You have it soaked with 1 cup of water. Take an equal measure of water to the extent you take Sabhudana or Sago.
- Diced potatoes- ½ cup
- Desiccated coconut- ½ cup
- Cumin seeds- 1 tsp
- Salt- Use rock salt as people prefer it during fasting time
- Asafoetida or Hing powder- for taste
- Lemon juice- ½ a cup
- Oil- 3 tablespoons
- Fried ground nuts- ½ cup
Method of preparation:
- As it has already been mentioned on the preparatory notes, you must soak Sago in 1 to 1.5 cups of water. Soak under water for at least 4 hours. This way, you provide- ample time for the Tapiaco or Sago pearls to absorb the water completely. However, post the soaking process, drain off the excess water.
- In a pan or Tawa, add three tablespoons of oil. To splutter, add cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Now, add fried groundnuts, potatoes, and other condiments as specified. You can add rock salt and hing powder.
- Once the potatoes and groundnuts turn golden brown, you can slowly add the sabhudana. Now, give all the ingredients a gentle mix. You can add water mixed with lemon juice to the mixture.
- Allow simmering in the pan for about 8-10 minutes. This way, the sago pearls get crispy too.
- Now, you can add desiccated coconut and garnish the kichdi with freshly cut coriander.
- The Sabhudana Kichdi can be served hot with papads or dry fritters.
Kala Chana Chat
Kala Chana chat is a salad that can conveniently be used for making a satiating and fulfilling meal. This way, you add a delicious recipe to your fasting without losing your energy levels. At the same time, this is a recipe that is filled with proteins, minerals, and antioxidants. So, let us get started with the recipe:
- Kala Channa- 1 cup
- Cucumbers- diced/ sliced- 1 cup
- Tomatoes- diced/ sliced- 1 cup
- Asafoetida or hing powder- 1 tsp
- Rock salt- for taste
- Lemon juice- ½ cup
- Turmeric powder- 1 pinch of it
- Oil- 2 tablespoons
- Mustard seeds/ Cumin seeds- 1 tsp each
- Corriander- freshly cut
Method of preparation:
- You must pressure-cook Kala channa in a cooker. Allow it to whistle 4-5 times so that the lentils are cooked completely.
- Now, take the pressure-cooked Kala Channa out. Splutter it using oil and mustard seeds. You can also add cumin seeds that can enhance the flavor. Once the ingredients are sauteed, switch off the stove.
- Now, add freshly diced tomatoes and cucumbers. You can add a pinch of chat masala powder for the tangy taste.
- Give all the ingredients a gentle mix. You can have the ingredients transferred to a glass bowl.
- As the final step, you can add lemon juice to the Kala Channa chat. Garnish with fresh coriander.
This is yet a fulfilling snack you can use to carry out your Navratri fasting in a hassle-free manner. Peanuts are power-packed resources of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. So., let us get started with the recipe:
- Raw peanuts- 1 cup
- Cooked potatoes- 1 cup
- Cucumbers- 1 cup
- Tomatoes- 1 cup
- Asafoetida/ hing powder- 1 tsp each
- Turmeric powder and Rock Salt- for taste
- Lemon juice- from 1 squeezed out juicy lemon
Method of Preparation:
- Pressure cook raw peanuts for about 4-5 whistles in a cooker or pressure-pan.
- Post the cooling process, keep the potatoes in a vessel. Now, let the potatoes steam for about 3 whistles or so.
- Now, take the cooked peanuts from the pressure pan. Once the potatoes are cooked completely, dice or slice them into cubes.
- Take a Tawa-pan. Splutter using oil and cumin seeds. Add potatoes and peanuts. Let the ingredients stay on simmer for about 4-5 minutes. The procedure will drain out the excess water.
- In the meanwhile, add asafoetida or hing powder, turmeric powder, and rock salt.
- Switch off the stove. Allow the mix to cool down a little.
- Add freshly diced or sliced cucumbers and tomatoes to the mix.
- Add the lemon juice at the end. This is a quick, delicious, and protein-rich recipe that can keep you energized for the rest of the day!
Makhna dry is a beautiful recipe that is 100% vegan. This is a crispy recipe that you can conveniently use for your Navratri fasting. The versatile recipe makes use of Makhna or fox nuts as the base ingredient. Let us see how the recipe is done!
- Makhna or Fox nuts- 1 cup
- Diced tomatoes- 1 cup
- Chili powder/ turmeric powder/ hing/ aamchur powder/ cumin powder- 1 tsp each
- Freshly chopped corriander
- Roasted peanuts- ½ cup
- Oil- for shallow frying the makhna- 2-3 tablespoons
Method of preparation:
- Take a tawa-pan. Add three tablespoons of oil. Add some mustard or cumin seeds to saute. Once the mustard seeds splutter, you can add the peanuts.
- Allow the peanuts to get shallow fried. Now, you can slowly add makhna or fox nuts to the mix. Allow the entire mixture to get roasted. You can leave on simmer for about 5-8 minutes.
- Now switch off the stove and allow the mixture to cool down.
- To a glass bowl, add the dry condiments one by one. These include, clili powder, turmeric powder, rock-salt, cumin powder, hing/ asafoetida and aamchur powder. Give the condiments a neat mix. Add the fried makhna-peanut mixture to the same.
- Toss all the ingredients while you transfer them to a bigger glass bowl.
- Add freshly sliced corriander and tomatoes to the mix. Garnish well. Serve fresh!
These are authentic recipes that are curated for Navratri fasting alone. The exclusive recipes make use of rock-salt and not common salt that you use for your day-to-day- cooking. Again, the recipes, are super-rich and fulfilling and not make you feel hungry at regular intervals. Happy Dussera to all of you!
We are an online vegan store based out of India. We have personalized lifestyle products catering to people belonging to the present millennium. You get nut butters, mock meats, plant-based sweets, dairy-free alternatives, groceries and wellness care products from our store. Do check out some of our outstanding collections right here:
Plant-based milk- https://vvegano.com/collections/plant-based-milk
Nut butters- https://vvegano.com/collections/nut-butters
Plant-based butters- https://vvegano.com/collections/dairy-butter-alternatives
Dairy-free Curds- https://vvegano.com/collections/vegan-curd-yoghurt
Vegan Paneer- https://vvegano.com/collections/tofu-paneer
Mock meat collections- https://vvegano.com/collections/plantbased-vegan-meats
For more, log in to https://www.vvegano.com