- Ghatkopar Cloth Stores (GCS) opened its doors in the year 1958. The founder, Mr. Mukund Mehta, launched the business to sell quality fabric and mill saris. In 1981, the business took a specialized form, selling only one product – saris – but in an unmatched variety. Over time, the owners learnt about the gross cruelty borne by innocent silkworms to derive raw material for silk saris. 9,000 of these poor creatures are boiled alive to extract silk for a single sari! Unwilling to be instruments of this mass massacre, GCS chose compassion instead. In a strategic decision, we decided to deal only in ahimsa silk saris. The year was 2006, and we stay true to our commitment towards compassion to this day.
- Options were few, but our determination was strong. We sought out craftsmen who work on silk saris to manufacture our ahimsa silk alternatives, ensuring similar luster and high quality without cruelty. Thus, we continue to offer the finest quality to our loyal customers. The year 2013 also saw us diversify into lehenghas and dresses.In 2011, our range of saris was certified by PETA, the premier international organization for animal rights.
- We launched the GCS Anukampa Collection, a range of beautiful saris made from compassionate ahimsa silk. Our offerings include banarasi, upada, embroidered, printed, cottons and other varieties for weddings, parties, family functions and other special occasions. You may make your selection amongst a variety of colors and the latest styles.
- The current directors of the company, Mr. Deepak Mehta, Mr.Bharat Mehta and Mr.Rahul Mehta, share the quest to deliver superior value to our customers. Ethnic designs, an extensive range and premium-quality products at affordable prices have lured the hearts of our customers. We also organize sales twice a year, through which our customers may purchase the best fashions at incredible prices!
- Even today, GCS features amongst the finest sari stores in Mumbai. Besides, we operate the only store in India to sell exclusively non-silk saris. Visit our store and allow the friendly staff to help you select the perfect GCS Anukampa sari.
Remember, your compassionate choice can save thousands of innocent lives.