Come Raksha Bhandhan! You invite your brothers, sisters, cousins, uncles and aunts. You may have your siblings and close circle of relatives staying with you at the same city or town you reside in. Else, you may want to invite your adorable relatives, cousins or siblings who are settled elsewhere. Your close circle of relatives may belong to another city, town or even country, from where you are staying. When all your relatives like aunts, uncles or cousins gather for the occasion of Raksha Bhandhan, you may definitely feel on top of the world indeed. The whole home of yours is filled with a festive aura. So, how do you woo your special guests using simple vegan style recipes? Your simple breakfast options can be made flavorful using vegan ingredients indeed. Here is helping you with the same:
Toss up a flavourful breakfast option using simple ingredients at home. Within a few minutes you can make delightful bowls of Aloo Poha and your guests can be spellbound indeed. Here is the recipe on how to make one:
- 3 cups of Poha or flattened rice
- Onions and chillies finely chopped
- Diced potatoes- ready for frying
- Oil, salt and condiments for taste
- Chili powder- 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1 tsp
- Fenugreek powder or Hing- 1 tsp
- Coriander- finely chopped
- Groundnuts- 1/4th cup
- A pint of garam masala
- Lemon juice
Method of preparation:
- Wash the poha or flattened rice bowl using running water. Leave on for 3-4 minutes. The poha becomes super moist indeed.
- Saute onions, chillies, groundnuts and diced potatoes in oil. You can shallow fry using a tawa pan. Add two tablespoons of salt, 1 tablespoon of chili powder. You can also start adding the other condiments like turmeric powder, hing powder and fenugreek powder for a more enhanced taste. You can add a pinch of garam masala, more for that chat pata taste.
- Now add the poha that has been completely drained off its excessive water. Give a gentle mix to the poha and the sauteed ingredients.
- Add finely chopped coriander. And you can squeeze the juice of a lemon. Serve hot with green imli chutney. And, there you go!
Channa dal vadas
You can make chana dal vadas that can make your breakfast option even more interesting. You can compliment vadas with idli-sambhar or even with dosas. Now, let us get started with the recipe:
- Channa dal
- Diced onions and chillies
- Finely chopped curry leaves
- Oil for frying
- Ginger- finely chopped
- Salt- 1-2 tea spoons
- Hing powder
Method of preparation
- Soak a bowl filled with chana dal lentils. You can add one or two red dried chillies too while you soak the dal in water. Let the lentils and chili flakes be soaked in water for 2 hours.
- Now, once the soaking period is over, drain off the excessive water. You can then grind the lentils and the soaked chilis into a mixer grinder. Do not grind into a finer paste. Pulse it slowly and then grind. You must get a semi thick paste.
- After the paste has been procured, transfer the contents into a glass bowl. Add one or two tablespoons of refined oil. This would hold the batter in shape.
- Add finely chopped chilis, onions, ginger, curry leaves and other condiments you may add to the paste.
- Add salt and hing powder. Add just a teaspoon or teaspoon and a half of salt. Otherwise the vadas will turn out salty.
- Now, grease your palms with oil. Start making the vadas. Use heated up oil for frying.
- Gently flip the vadas from one side to another until they turn golden brown. You can make about 4-5 small vadas in a pan.
- Drain off the excessive oil. The vadas can be served with spicy onion or garlic chutney. You can also use ketchup to dip into!
Masala Dosa is the most versatile breakfast option that is healthy, tasty and above all less time-consuming to prepare. This can be a quick-fix option to serve to guests, friends or relatives at a short-notice. Let us get started with the recipe:
- Boiled, peeled and mashed potatoes- 4 in number
- Onions- finely chopped
- Garam masala powder
- Salt to taste
- Oil to grease the aloo stuffing
- Salt, red chili powder, hing powder- 1 teaspoon each
- Finely grated ginger
- Mustard seeds
- Cumin seeds/ Jeera
Method of preparation- Aloo stuffing
- Take a tawa pan. Use two tablespoons of refined or organic oil. Now splutter mustard seeds and jeera and saute the same.
- Once the pan has heated up, add the mashed potatoes. Add to it finely chopped onions and grated ginger flakes. Give the ingredients a gentle mix.
- Add salt, garam masala, hing powder and red chili powder. You can use a teaspoon each or add the condiments according to your taste.
- Again, give the stuffing a gentle mix. You can add two more tablespoons of oil or vanaspati so that you get a greasy texture for the aloo stuffing.
How to make Masala Dosa?
- Heat the dosa pan. Now, add the dosa batter.
- Add two tablespoons of refined oil. You can use vegan ghee for a more rich texture.
- Allow the dosa to cook on one side.
- Now flip over. Gently add the aloo stuffing to the dosa. You can apply chutney powder over the dosa so that you get a binder to hold on to the aloo stuffing.
- Finally, roll it with the stuffing intact and this way you can make 5-6 of masala dosas hassle-free.
- Serve hot with freshly ground coconut chutney. You can also serve hot tiffin sambar so that it becomes a restaurant styled signature recipe.
Mixed Vegetable Upma
You can create easy vegan tiffin varieties if you do a little bit of planning from your side. When guests or your siblings ring the doorbell at a short notice, you must have easy-to-prepare recipes at home. This way, you can turn out to be a wonderful host, after all. Mixed vegetable upma is one such recipe that hardly takes 30 minutes to prepare. This is a healthy tiffin option and at the same time tasty too. Now, let us get started with the recipe:
- Fine sooji heated and roasted- 2 cups
- Diced potatoes- 1/4th cup
- Diced carrots- 1/4th cup
- Diced onions- 1/4th cup
- Diced cluster beans- 1/4th cup
- Finely chopped tomatoes- 1/4th cup
- Fresh peas- 1/4th cup
- Salt, hing powder, turmeric powder- 1 teaspoon each
- Oil for sauteing
- Finely chopped chilis and ginger
Method of preparation
- Add a tablespoon of vanaspati or veganized ghee. Heat the sooji. The sooji then turns aromatic.
- Now remove the sooji from the flame.
- Now, transfer the heated sooji to a plate or too.
- Take another tawa pan. Using a mild quantity of oil splutter mustard seeds, urad dal and channa dal. Once the mustard seeds pop up, you can slowly add the diced or finely chopped veggies one by one.
- Add onions, potatoes, peas, carrot, cluster beans, ginger and chilis. You can also add salt, turmeric powder and other condiments as stated on the ingredients list.
- Saute until the onions turn golden brown. The veggies would also have turned crispy now.
- Add two glasses of water to the mix. This way, the veggies will become soft and well cooked. Let the pan simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Now, start adding the roasted sooji in batches. Add two more glasses of water and allow the entire upma to simmer for 10 minutes.
- After the sooji and the veggies completely absorb the water, you can add vanaspati or cooking ghee for that added texture.
- Mix until the upma separates from the pan.
- Switch off the stove and the mixed vegetable upma is ready to be served hot.
- Freshly ground coconut chutney and sambar goes well with the hot vegetable upma!
These are some of the most exotic veganized breakfast recipes, you can woo over your guests with for the upcoming Raksha Bhandhan day. So, which is the recipe you are going to try out?
We are an online vegan store based out of India. We have personalized lifestyle products catering to people belonging to the present millennium. You get nut butters, mock meats, plant-based sweets, dairy-free alternatives, groceries and wellness care products from our store. Do check out some of our outstanding collections right here:
Plant-based milk- https://vvegano.com/collections/plant-based-milk
Nut butters- https://vvegano.com/collections/nut-butters
Plant-based butters- https://vvegano.com/collections/dairy-butter-alternatives
Dairy-free Curds- https://vvegano.com/collections/vegan-curd-yoghurt
Vegan Paneer- https://vvegano.com/collections/tofu-paneer
Mock meat collections- https://vvegano.com/collections/plantbased-vegan-meats
For more, log in to https://www.vvegano.com